Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ham and Tomato Gravy

Easter! It's typical and traditional to enjoy ham and tomato gravy at our house for Thanksgiving and for Easter. It kinda bummed me out though---being 6 hours away from family on a holiday. It didn't bother me in the years prior, but now I wish I could be home to enjoy time with all my family. Family is becoming more and more important to me.

This brings me to an excellent point: Easter is not about family. It is about celebrating the fact that Jesus rose from the grave, that we believe who he says he is, and that we will continue to honor him with our lives. Sure---we celebrate with family and friends usually around a dinner table---but that is not the focus itself.

I find that as I get older I realize just how frustrated I get when special holidays become all about marketing peeps or turkey and ham. It's sad when Easter becomes nothing but "the season for cadbury eggs" or when Christmas becomes nothing but "the season for sending cards and receiving gifts."

My husband and I are celebrating Easter today together and will share a meal later. This will be my first ham I've ever cooked! Given---it's a precooked one that I just heat up...but hey- a girl's gotta start somewhere!

On a side note--- I can't stand gravy unless it is the family's secret tomato gravy recipe! I won't eat brown gravy. I won't eat white gravy. It's gotta be red gravy. There is always a hustle and bustle around the table when we bring out the tomato gravy---"Where's the tomato gravy? Who's hoarding it?!"


Almost 8 pounds of hammy goodness.


Yum.





My vodka that I made a few days ago is sprouting nicely. The Jolly Rancher and Bubblegum Vodkas are finished---they smell exactly like the added sweets. The lemon vodkas, on the other hand, are not quite finished. They smell so lemony fresh!


Lemoncello, in progress




Lemon-Orange Vodka, in progess



Jolly Rancher Vodka




Bubblegum Vodka




I hope your day is fantastic. Enjoy the company of your loved ones, but don't forget the true reason we celebrate with said company: Jesus Christ!


No comments:

Post a Comment