Friday, April 9, 2010

Is your cherry pie red enough?


Today was a good day at work. I planned on heading into town early, finishing my cakes, and then heading back to base for a BBQ. I arrived at work and was asked twice within a ten minute period if I had a carrot cake prepared. Yesterday I had made the cake and I was waiting for today to frost it. I told Dave I was just getting ready to frost the cake and he replied "Good, because it's already sold." HA! Someone called in to order a whole carrot cake! Boy howdy, it felt good to know someone ordered something of mine!
I whipped up some delicious cinnamon cream cheese frosting and frosted that thing like there was no tomorrow.

I realized I had to make some more carrot cake to keep in stock. I started peeling carrots and shredding them in the processor. Dave then told me that he had received a complaint on my cherry pie. Surprised, I looked up from my carrot shavings, wide eyed as a deer in headlights, and asked what the complaint was. He said that the woman complained about the color of my pie, that it wasn't red enough. She also complained that my crust was not dark brown and crispy. Good Lord, I didn't know there was a specified shade of red for cherry pie!

Either way, I can see the crust complaint being a bit valid---my crusts don't seem to brown even after an hour of baking. Perhaps I'll buy food color so that my cherry pie can be the 'correct' shade of red. I'll try out a new pie crust recipe.

Why must people be so picky? People are used to the canned red thick cherry pie filling and not used to a homemade pie. Sheesh. Frustrating.

Anyway. I've gotten the hang of making carrot cakes. I figured out that if I whip the eggs to a beaten pulp, add sugar and repeat, and then add oil and beat even more, the cake turns out every time. I don't add coconut shredding anymore because I figure it weighs the cake down. I'm so happy my last 8 carrot cakes have turned out!!

Yum... Carrot Cakes.


On a side note, I often get tired of drinking just water. I bought some crystal light flavor packets--- green tea peach and wild strawberry. YUM! The green tea peach is so great. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a bit of a change.

Hope your day is great!


No comments:

Post a Comment