Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Moonshine: Vodka, Lemons, and Bubble Gum.










Not actually MOONSHINE, so to speak. Who needs to buy from the store when you can make it in your own back yard?!

I was needing some encouragement and inspiration for some new ideas in the kitchen, whether technique or recipe. I came across a great blog about unique, new, and exciting recipes. I stumbled across two recipes: Bubblegum Vodka and Homemade Lemoncello. I wanted to try to make them! I'm not a huge alcohol drinker, but I was intrigued by the two combinations.

I went to the store and bought lemons, bubblegum, and jolly ranchers (just to throw in there to try a new flavor).


-------------------------------Lemoncello----------------------------

10 lemons
3 cups vodka
3 1/2 cups water
2 1/4 cups sugar
Tightly Closing Container / Jar


Peel lemons to get just the yellow skin, try not to get the white stuff!!!!
Pour vodka and lemon shavings into a jar. Shut lid tightly.
Let sit for four days.

Melt sugar in water. Let cool.
Add sugar-water to lemon-vodka. Let sit for at least one day.
Let it sit longer to make a deeper flavor, or enjoy after one day.


TADA. Lemoncello.

Note: I made two jars of lemoncello. One strictly with lemons, another with mandarin orange peelings from 1 orange just to add a different tone.











---------------------------------Bubblegum Vodka------------------------------

Vodka
Bubblegum (I used double bubble)
Tightly Closing Container / Jar

Though clear measurements are not given, I suppose one could just play around with flavor--- more bubblegum = more bubblegum flavor.

I used 3/4 of a mason jar full of vodka, and about 10-14 pieces of bubblegum, chopped into fourths or less.

Mix the two together and cover in a jar, tightly shut. It should be done within a day but for a more deep flavor, leave longer.

TADA. Bubblegum Vodka.






-------------------------------Jolly Rancher Vodka-------------------------------


Vodka
Jolly Ranchers
Tightly Closing Container / Jar

I filled a mason jar 3/4 full of vodka. I also added 4 watermelon Jolly Ranchers and 3 Apple Jolly Ranchers. Shut lid tightly and let sit. I would imagine this one would be done soon, as in, one day. Let sit for longer for a stronger flavor.












We'll see how they turn out. Hopefully they develop a good flavor! I'll have to have a friend try it who enjoys vodka!





On another note, a gentleman came into the restaurant today who was friends with Lynn, from Federal Foods (our food distributor). This gentleman distributed meat. Anyway-- He tried a piece of my cheesecake and thought it was excellent but had one complaint. I, being the criticism loving person I am (ha!) asked "Pray tell, gentle-sir, what dost thou have in complaint against my delicacy?" Or something like that....His complaint was that the crust tasted too much like a pastry crust and that it needed to be a graham cracker crust. I plainly told him that I didn't prefer graham cracker crusts because they taste too processed, and he persisted that my crust lacked a texture or consistency difference needed to complete the cheesecake. *sigh* I work with oreo crusts for some chocolate cheesecakes, shortbread crusts for everything else, and want to work with crushed up pretzels or nuts for more tropical cheesecakes (key lime cheesecake with a salty pretzel crust? YUM!)

Today was spent thinking over cheesecake crusts, thanks to the gentle-sir who doubted the greatness of my shortbread crust. I also made cheesecake pops (cut up my cheesecake into bite size chunks, stuck a lollipop stick inside, and dipped them in chocolate) for the ladies to hand out for samples to get some business. Hopefully they attract customers like bugs to a light.

Also, a friend mentioned to me that he knows of a friend of his who is opening a bakery and asked if he could pass my name on to them. I hurriedly agreed!

Have a fantastic and wonderful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment