Monday, April 19, 2010

Whoa, nelly.

It's been a few days, yes. Forgive my absence. We made a whirlwind trip back to Kansas to see my dad, go to the circus, and a birthday party for my niece. While back home, my mom told me about Julie & Julia, the movie about Julia Child and a lady named Julie who blogged about her experiences baking through her cookbook. I only got to watch the first half hour, but I quite enjoyed it! I thought to myself "I could do something like that! Wait--- I kind of am already doing that..."

Have I baked anything lately? Snickerdoodles and cheesecake today at work! My snickerdoodles are not the normal snickerdoodles. Usually, people douse sugar cookies with cinnamon and call them snickerdoodles. Nope. I used clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla beans in mine. I then chopped pecans very small and rolled the dough into balls, dipping them into a cinnamon/sugar/pecan mixture. They were not puffy cookies and they were not flat crispy. These bad boys were perfect!

I think it's crucial to take risks when baking. For instance, when I make my blueberry sauce, I add coconut to it. It enhances the flavor of the blueberry. When I make peanut butter cookies, I add almond flavor. This accentuates the peanut butter very well. Try out different seasonings, flavors, and mixtures when you bake! The worse thing that could possibly happen is you won't like it and you'll have to throw out your frankenstein creation ( and no one will be the wiser!).

I have a busy week ahead. I'm honestly quite stressed. I have to tell myself "Whoa, Nelly," or I get too involved and stressed about things. I'd like to share a lot of fun funky recipes and pictures, but I'm afraid for the next few days I will be thinking of my computer class final as well as my orchestra concert! Things should be back to normal by next week.

Speaking of Pax and Ash...Ash decided to rip the corner of the screen on the outside window. I am getting pretty upset. I'd like to move out of this nice new house so I won't be so worried about how the dogs treat it.

Thank you for your support! I hope you are having adventures in your kitchen as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment