Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Pax and Ash

Sam, my wonderful husband, is being forced out of the military. His career field is over manned and job cuts had to take place. In lieu of this, I will most likely be losing my job and we will be moving away from Colorado.

Back in Kansas, where we most certainly will be moving, the job situation is uncertain. Sam might go back into the military, but will still need to look for a job. What shall I do? Go back to stocking shelves at Target at 4am? Be hired as a receptionist at a chiropractic office and be forced to make sales calls that I can't bear? By no means. I was pouring over ideas of what I could do to earn some money. I can't mow lawns year round like I'd enjoy (I am a mowing fiend).

Suddenly out of the blue, as if I had never thought of it before, and idea struck my head. Why not open shop as a baker? Why not create sweets and treats back home? It's a fresh start. My mom, who is darling and wonderful as all sweet women, agreed to let me use a bit of space in her alteration shop to plant my roots for a cakery. How kind!

I figure it would be hugely amazing to start off my cakery : The Pax and Ash, in my mom's shop. She has an alteration shop and guess who comes in for alterations on their clothes and dresses? Brides. Mother of the bride. Friends of the bride. I have connections to local bridal stores and wedding planners/decorators. I think that by passing out some cake pops, some flyers and business cards, I could have a good jump start to a cake business!

Is "The Pax & Ash: A Cakery" a good solid name for a cake business? I think for a store front it would be. For a one woman show just starting out in small town Kansas? Not quite sure. I'll have to ponder that one.

So here I go. If we decide and are set on moving back to Kansas, I shall open up shop as a cake decorator, making delicious and beautiful creations that I hope you will devour joyously! I am super stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment