Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chips and Salsa



Oh Pax, your smile brightens the darkest days!


And Ash, your constant love will endure all the ages.




Even if the harsh rains of life muddy up your world!






Sam and I LOVE chips and salsa. As long as we've been married, we've kept salsa and chips in the house. I got tired of buying salsa when there is such an easy alternative! Now, I've never made homemade chips before (and technically, I still didn't make them from scratch) and decided I should try to fry my own up! I used a bag of corn tortillas.



I cut the tortillas into triangles, like you would cut a pie into pieces. I suppose one could also cut strips or crazy shapes, but I just wanted something quick and easy!


You'll need a large can of petite diced tomatoes and a regular size can of tomato puree.


Grab a chopped onion and a green pepper. Don't forget the garlic, brown sugar, chives, and pepper.
Mix all these up in a saucepan and let heat until brown sugar melts and juices are hot!

Turn your attention to the fryer oil! I used lard and heated it up a large stockpot.


You'll know it's hot enough when you drop a tortilla triangle into it and it starts bubbling profusely.


Mn... fryin' up a storm!



Stir the tortilla triangles around to flip them over and cook evenly. When they start looking a little golden brown, remove from oil onto a paper towel/pan. At this point, I sprinkled my chips with garlic powder and salt (don't go too overboard in seasoning...you can shake them up when you're completed!).


Give to a loved one to enjoy!!!


Yum! You can also use a can of rotel in your salsa for a bit more bite. I just experiment with different seasonings to get a good flavor---mustard, paprika, chili powder, or red chili flakes.

ENJOY!












No comments:

Post a Comment