Friday, January 22, 2010

Vanilla Bean Marshmallows





I was in no mood to create a carrot cake today. Too much grating...too many small ingredients. I decided to turn my attention to homemade marshmallows! Vanilla bean marshmallows to be exact.

To my delight homemade marshmallows do not contain many ingredients. It's all in how you
prepare it. It reminded me of creating divinity.

First, I mix 1/3c corn starch and 1/3c powdered sugar. This mixture is then sprinkled over a greased and foil tinned pan. I recommend a 9x9.

After, I gathered three envelopes of unflavored gelatin (.75 oz total) and 1/2c cold water. Do not mix just yet. Wait a bit. I decided to mix these ingredients now before heating the sugar mixture, and the gelatin was of a hard and uneasy consistency with which to work.

I used two vanilla beans in this recipe. I split the bean with a sharp
knife and then used a citrus peeler to gather all the seeds. If you have not used a vanilla bean in recipes, I suggest giving them a whirl. They are so fun to work with. Plus, after you gather all the little seeds from the bean, you can cut up the bean and throw it in with your sugar. It will give the sugar a nice vanilla flavor! Waste not want not!

Mix 2c sugar, 1/4c water, and 2/3c corn syrup in a large pot. Turn heat to medium high. Stir occasionally while heating to 235F. (Use a candy thermometer!) As this mixture is heating, I recommend mixing the gelatin and water in a stand mixer. Watch the pot of sugar.
Once the desired temperature is reached, remove from heat. Pour the syrup in a slow steady stream into the gelatin mixture while
beating on medium speed in a stand mixer. As you
finish pouring all the syrup, turn up the speed to high and whip until shiny, thick, and fluffy. This process took me about eight-ten minutes.
Watch out-- the mixture grew larger and thicker while rising up on the mixing hands. Keep an eye so it doesn't rise up into the mixer!

After it has grown fluffy and thick, pour into the greased pan. Smooth
flat and let it set up at room temperature overnight or equivalent hours.

I don't think my creation was fully cooked to soft ball stage, as it had a few sugar granules in it. Better luck next time!

Still, they taste grand. The vanilla beans are a wonderful addition. I think next time I'll add a bit of flavor--perhaps almond, mint, or even banana!

Maybe today I'll give my carrot cake a whirl.











1 comment: