Sunday, January 17, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese.






I collect pasta. Sadly, my collections constantly dwindle due to use in tasty dishes.





Macaroni and Cheese ranks high on my favorite food list. Contenders include pizza, egg rolls, and fresh fruit. Mac & Cheese from a box is... mediocre at best. Amazingly enough, I never even thought about adding spices to such a bland concoction until just recently. I prefer red pepper flakes with a dash of garlic.

All the same each and every time I gather the ingredients for such a delightful mix of cheese and pasta I get that same ol' voice in my head telling me it will flop. The horrible thing is that my mac and cheese seems to always flop. I create a rue and slowly add my cream and milk, spices and cheese. I hover over the stove as if I were protecting it from a nuclear attack. I stir. I wait. I stir. I add more cheese. At the end of it all, my sauce is too grainy or too thin and bland. It's all in the execution, I know. The more I try, the more I want to give up creating such a wonderful dish. Through all that trouble and heartache of a bland cheese sauce or a grainy texture, I won't give up.

Failure is an option. Sometimes a valid one. The problem is when someone fails and they do not get back up to try again. Lately, I've been reading a few blogs: http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/ as well as http://sugarshop.blogspot.com/ . Both of these women's blogs have been extremely uplifting and helpful in both the baking arena as well as the business side of baking.

Ya know, I'd love to open my own shop someday. My mother, after being forced out of her job due to the company being shut down, decided to take a leap and open her own business: a clothing alteration shop. She is so successful, even more so than in her previous position and company. She loves being her own boss and she understands all aspects of owning and operating a successful and customer driven business. I'm so proud of her. I also see, on the other side of the sunny flower patch, that she works longer and harder than she ever has. She feels like the world needs her, so she can't take a day off for fear of someone needing an item on which she has worked. She has had to deal with mad customers, late customers, overly talkative customers, and disabled customers. She is a people person. It helps when you work with what you've got, what you're skilled in, and where you are comfortable.

I can learn from my mother's success. Someday all of the wisdom I have been storing up will be used when I seek out a kitchen from which to cook and a storefront from which to sell.

Being asked to bake my cheesecakes for The Setting Sun Food Company was a huge honor. I hope I'm up for the challenge. People always tend to talk big but act little. I intend to be the opposite. I certainly will have to get used to getting up early to bake, dealing with disgruntled ovens, and producing consistent results each time I bake. I am trying to walk near the owner of the restaurant as he gets all his ducks in a row concerning marketing, ordering produce, and setting up his restaurant. I want to learn!

We still have not been able to get into the restaurant to start cleaning and setting things up the way we want. The current occupants will vacate soon and we'll be able to set up more detailed procedures and I will get a closer look at my weapons and tools. I'll be happy with what I can get. Hopefully, we will be able to get in there within the next two weeks. We will need to, as the target grand opening will be late February.

I am at a loss for what cakes I should provide. Cheesecakes are a given. What types? Other cakes? A majority of people enjoy chocolate but should I take a risk and offer more unique flavors of cakes or pies?

So many details to sort out. I have a lot on my plate. Classes start in two days. I'm neglecting my photography and my laundry. I suppose not everything can be placed in priority above baking cheesecakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment