Saturday, January 29, 2011

Juicing! Recipes and flying monkey apples

I am the Willy Wonka of the juicing world. If I see a giant blueberry girl, I'll simply reply to her predicament "I want you to roll Miss Beaurgarde into the boat and take her along to the Juicing Room at once. 'Kay?" I will squeeze and press the juice out of a piece of paper just because I can--- I love my new Jack Lalanne juicer!

I've been toying with the idea of buying a juicer for the past year or so but never got around to buying one or looking up recipes for it. After work two days ago, I told myself that I should get one. I did.

I took it home and stared at the box for two hours before deciding it was time to bust it out and give it a whirl. There were about 8 parts in the box and it took me all of 13.3 minutes to assemble. I made it more confusing than it actually was. I didn't think I would ever get it assembled. Thank the Lord for directions with pictures...without them I would still be staring at the pulp catcher and the circular filter asking myself "where does the fruit go?"

After getting it all in order, I flipped the switch just to hear a glorious low whirring noise. I jumped in glee and said "ooooohhh!"

I turned the juicer (lovingly known as Shredder) off and gathered my fruits. I grabbed three granny smith apples and cored them. I then took my pears and dug out the seeds as well. Finally, I poured the thawed peaches and the other two fruits in a big bowl and reverently walked towards Shredder. Now was the moment of truth.

Would I like freshly juiced fruits? Would it taste sour or bland? Am I going to miraculously feel rejuvenated and fresh? Only one way to find out-- to KILL the innocent fruits by squishing them to death in my new machine.

On goes the machine and I drop the fruit bit by bit down the chute and followed it with the shmooshing tube. It whirred harder and sure enough, fruit juice came streaming out of the hole into my juice catching cup. It was a blurry khaki color and started to foam in my cup. Giddy to try more, I put more fruit down the chute but forgot to follow it with the shmooshing tube. The apple pieces came FLYING out towards me like the crazy monkeys from the Wizard of Oz...

I screamed out and jumped back. After the mad monkey apple pieces stopped attacking me, I approached the machine with a new found respect for the shmooshing tube.

I put the rest of the fruit down the chute and after I was done, was left with a full measuring cup of fresh juice--the blood of fruits of life past.

I disassembled the juicer with less trouble than what I had assembling it. I cleaned it sparkling and grabbed the juice and poured it in a tall glass cup.

It was like liquid gold--shimmery yellow and beige in color and foamy up top. I stirred the foam into the juice and braced myself as I lifted the glass to my lips.

Steady...

Steaadddyy.....

*gulp*

AMAZING!

This juice was beyond amazing. It was smooth and delightfully sweet. It tasted like apple juice gone wild. The tartness of the granny apples was offset by the calm smooth taste of pear and the hint of sweetness from the peach.

Oh man. I had struck gold. Liquid gold!

I highly recommend you try fresh juice--from a juicer. It tastes so much better than even that "Fresh juice" the store sells. No preservatives or crappy additives-- just wholesome juice.

Today, I tried a new recipe. Amazing. I've used this juicer 3 times in the past 2 days and I love it. I hear it's a great way to detoxify, lose weight, reallign your health and digestive system. Im stoked to try more recipes--especially a homemade V8 recipe. I usually can't drink V8 due to the high salt content (I'm not a horse, for crying out loud, I don't need a salt lick with every glass of juice...)

Here are a couple of recipes I've created and jotted down. Be sure you use firm fruits. Don't juice bananas....

Smooth Apple Blend

3 granny smith apples (cored)
2 pears (cored if seeded)
2 peaches (I used two handfuls of frozen sliced peaches)

Place all in the juicer.

ENJOY!

Apple Fruity Blend

3 granny smith apples (cored)
2 pears (cored if seeded)
1 cup blueberries
6 strawberries (tops cut off)
1 large carrot (top cut off)


Juice an apple and pear, add blueberries and strawberries, then add the rest of the apples, pears, and carrot. Enjoy.




As you see, I stick with fruit juices-- I'm a tad scared to add a whole bag of spinach to my juicing regime...but... I'll get there.

ENJOY. Don't be scared! Give juicing a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment