Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Quick Chili

I don't know about you, but I've never been a fan of "canned" meals---canned spaghetti sauce, canned chili, etc. I think I have bought maybe one or two cans of said 'fake foods' because I feel that by purchasing them I support a cheating lifestyle. Yes. Using either jarred spaghetti sauce or chili mixes endorse an unfaithful lifestyle---at least when it comes to cooking.

Here's my quick chili recipe. This recipe makes enough for about 10 bowls (plenty to take for lunches for the next few days or chili dogs in the evening)!



Jenna's Chili

2 lbs ground beef
1 red pepper
1 onion
2 garlic cloves (or at least 3 tbsp garlic powder if not more)
6 slices of jalapeno (more or less depending on your heat tolerance. 6 slices will get you nowhere)
3 cans tomato sauce (regular size)
1 can diced tomatoes (regular size)
1/2C to 1C brown sugar
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
chili powder (to taste)
Optional (to taste)
chives
ground mustard
salt

Brown ground beef and chop into bite size bits. Drain juice.

Chop onion, jalapeƱos, and pepper into small bits. Add garlic and chili powder (and other spices) and stir fry for about 2 minutes.

Pour all the tomato ingredients, vinegar, and sugar into a large stockpot.

Mix the ground beef into the stockpot. Add the onion/pepper mix. Stir well. Cook over medium heat until bubbly and then turn to low.

Let cook on low until you are ready to eat if you are planning on eating it within an hour. If you want to prep this in advance, transfer it all into a crockpot and adjust settings to "keep warm." I see no need to even turn the crockpot on low or high---it's already cooked, now you are letting the flavors set in. Chili gets better with age until a certain point where there is no return...Make a day ahead!


This chili is mild. It has plenty of spice yet a sweetness that offsets the tomato. If you are feeling frisky, add a bit more garlic or some chili's to the mix. I'm sure you could add beans as well, but that's just not my thing. :)



Life is good. Some things change, some things don't. I am thankful above all that I have my God who still believes in me, my husband who stands by my side, my family who puts up with me, and my friends who laugh with me. Amidst life's pain, trouble, unforeseen circumstances and events, one can be thankful for breath and life.

Things aren't always what they seem and sometimes things seem bad. At one moment, life as you know it ceases to function at the news of a tragedy or a heartbreak. Within minutes or hours the wheels start turning again and you remember that the world never did stop turning, as you did. Life goes on. Life is good.


Be well. Until next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment