Wednesday, February 10, 2010

White Cake that tastes like banana or cornbread?





In hot pursuit of a deadly delicious white cake.

Today is white cake day. Already tried a yellow cake. Moving on to greener pastures--- or whiter batter... Little did I know that the cake batter would come out tasting like banana bread. Seriously!

Let's be honest here--- only good bakers test the batter. We test the batter to make sure the cake is complete and doesn't need a hint more vanilla or a dash more of salt. After I initially mixed the batter, it was undersweet. I didn't mind. After baking a very rich chocolate cake with very sweet frosting I was ready for a mild cake. I added a bit of vanilla syrup and a dash more sugar. After whipping for a while, I covered it and let it rest for half an hour.

Upon my return I tested the batter one more time before I baked. Holy cow. This batter tasted like banana bread. It was the weirdest thing. I didn't mind-- I like banana bread! I was perplexed, however, how my white cake batter came out tasting like banana bread. It was neither here nor there, for it was time to bake that sucker!

White Cake


2 C white sugar
1 C butter
4 eggs (2 whole eggs, 2 whites only)
3 C flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 C milk




I first grease with shortening and flour my three cake pans. Here's a handy trick that my LOVELY MOTHER taught me! -- Instead of scooping shortening out with a spoon or spatula, use a baggie. Dig in with your fingers to get the right amount and you can more readily smooth the shortening down onto the pan. No mess! Just turn the baggie inside out when you're done. Throw away. Voila!


In a big mixer, cream the butter for at least ten minutes.
Add sugar a little bit at a time, remembering to scrape down the sides. Let this cream again for another 8 minutes. *Yes, this is important. Don't skip it.*
Add in the eggs one at a time.
Let mix while you sift the flour and powder together.
Pour the flour in at 1/4 cup intervals. Don't just dump it all in there. If you do, not only will you get a big cloud of flour dust, but you will also miss out on the chance to fully incorporate all the flour into the batter properly.
It will get to the point where the batter will be looking a bit thirsty. At this point, start adding in a bit of milk at a time just to return the batter to liquid, and then add more flour. Alternate adding milk and flour until they are all gone.





Pour batter evenly between the three pans. As you can see, I overfilled my two and left none for the third pan. Sad third pan.



Place in oven and bake at 350.
*my two pans took about 20 minutes, but three pans will take less!*


Enjoy!

I'll be completely honest in my appraisal of this cake. I tried a piece while it was still hot and it tasted a bit cornbready to me. I know. From banana batter to cornbread cake. It's a bit dense in texture but tastes great! I was hoping for a lighter cake. The original recipe I varied mine from called for four whole eggs (people complained it to be too eggy tasting) and 1 Cup of butter (I used half butter, half shortening). It just...has a bit of a cornbread tasting flair. I honestly don't know what would cause this. I'll be sure to let you know how it tastes once I frost it.


My wonderful husband just came through the door and I asked him to taste test my cake.
I cut a piece as long and wide as a deck of cards.
He had a bite...thought for ten seconds.
"Is it good?" I asked.
"Better try another bite..." said he.
I gave him another piece.
"What do you think? I asked again.
He thought for another ten seconds.
"I need another bite to make sure..." he said with a smile.
I figured this could go on until my cake was gone...so I gave him another piece and screamed
"It TASTES like CORNBREAD!"
He shook his head and calmly said "It tastes more like a sugar cookie!"

So. There you have it. Unbiased, intellectual, and ed-jew-muh-kay-tid opinions on this new white cake recipe. I really think it will be great after I frost it! I can see this cake being a good base for a banana filling or even apples.















No comments:

Post a Comment