Friday, February 19, 2010

Mini Fillable Cake Pans & White Cake!



How fun are these?! Mini cake pans!



I was at Michael's looking for baking supplies and stumbled across a box of these little fellas just staring at me on the bottom shelf. *sigh* I'm a sucker for cute little things like this. I refuse to buy a fondant smoother that I really need, but by george, I'll buy mini fillable pans.

I brought the box home and literally squeaked in delight as I opened up the box to see four individually packaged tins. "Oh how CUTE!" I squealed. Most of the time, I'm thankful I'm the only one in the house when I do things like that. Anyone else might think I'm absurdly silly.

Use them as mini shortcakes to fill with strawberries! After baking, fill and invert one on top of the other to have an individual size cake with a filling of your choice; Fruit, ice cream, or mousse would make excellent fillings!

My three 9 inch cake pans are showing wear and tear. Honestly, I needed these little pans! Forget that you have to bake in three shifts to compensate for the small nature of the pans. Justification, I need you!

-----------------------------------------------------

White Cake
(adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes)

3 1/4 C flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla
1 C + 2 tbsp milk
1/2 C + 6 tbsp (1 3/4 sticks) butter, softened
1 3/4 C sugar
5 lg eggs, room temp

Sift flour, powder and salt together.
Mix milk and vanilla.
Cream butter until smooth. Slowly add sugar until pale and fluffy.
Add flour and milk mixtures to the butter/sugar slowly and alternatively.

In another bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Add egg whites slowly and in 3 parts to batter.





Place batter in your pan of choice (greased and floured) and bake until toothpick comes out mainly clean (for cupcakes, divide batter between lined cups, filling 3/4 full and bake for less time).

(Giggle giggle... mini pans!)


Bake Bake Bake!



-------------------------------------------------------------


Oh, the joy! A mini white cake in all it's glory!




Look at that little puff! So great!

Oh joyous day! Oh, the rapture! Oh...




Oh... crap.




I forgot to grease and flour the pans. What a doofus!
I couldn't save any of the mini cakes I made. It was a sad day. I tried gently tapping them after inverting them on my cooling rack. I tried cooling them completely and then trying to get them out. No luck. They weren't salvageable. The cakes came out in portions and would stick. I had to confiscate the crumbs and humbly use the rest of the dough in giant cupcakes. The cake tasted great through all this though. Not egg-y. It was light and not overly sweet. The only complaint I have is that it was crumbly crumbly crumbly. This doesn't discourage me! The mini pans will fight to live another day! Or...live to fight another day!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment