Friday, January 29, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Syrup



Is it redundant to add a few tablespoons of Torani Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough syrup to a batch of homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough?
My in laws are traveling to visit us this weekend. I wanted to make something quick and easy, yet very tasty and yummy. Chocolate
Chip Cookies was my choice. A White layer cake was my second choice. For fillings between the layers, I'd flavor my light frosting with strawberry, orange, and blueberry. I don't look forward to the bleeding of the colors into the white cake....but hey. That's a small sacrifice.

I have yet to find a better recipe for chocolate chip cookies. These things rock. I made a double batch today, hoping to freeze some of the dough for a rainy (or snowy) day.


Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies

1cup butter (room temperature)
1cup packed light brown sugar
3tbsp milk
2 eggs
2cups flour
1/2 tsp salt, baking powder, baking
soda (each)
3cups chocolate chips (I always use semi-sweet. Milk Chocolate seems to make for a really gooey cookie, almost runny. Semi-sweet holds together better for me)

Mix butter and sugar until well incorporated. Slowly add in eggs and milk.

Always scrape the sides of your bowl while mixing. This will prevent clumps and parts that are not mixed resulting in a more consistent batter for cookies.

At this point, I usually mix in the salt, powder and soda. You can sift those three ingredients with the flour, if you wish, and add it all together. I don't.

Finally, mix in the flour SLOWLY. (If you don't pour it slowly, the flour will poof up in the air...)
Beat until all ingredients are mixed well. Don't forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl!

Stop the mixer and stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Once well incorporated, set the bowl inthe fridge to cool at least a few hours (I put mine in the freezer to speed up the process!) I promise, the cookies come out WAY better if you do this step. If you go from mixing to baking immediately, the cookies will be finicky.

Bake cookies for about 8-12 minutes on a preheated stone/baking sheet.

Tips:

Sifting the salt, powder and soda with the flour gives a smoother dough. I can't tell enough of a difference to do it every time. That, and I don't own
a sifter. *GASP!*

Never use metal baking sheets unless you want a crispy flat cookie. If that is what you desire, GO FOR IT! I prefer using baking stones. I have never had an issue with my cookies, or any other baked item for that matter.

Scrape the sides of the bowl. I can't stress this enough.

Use fresh ingredients.




This go around, I decided to use Hungarian High Altitude Flour in my cookie dough. I heard it's a great flour and I needed more flour in my cupboard, so I bought some!



Whilst on the final leg of mixing my dough, I peered over at my collection of Torani syrups and saw a chocolate chip cookie dough flavored syrup. Dare I add cookie dough flavor into my cookie dough? I quickly turned away at the thought of such treachery and told the dough mixing and whirring beneath the stand that I would never betray it.

Adding flavoring to an item that the flavoring is made to taste like is quite redundant to me. It might boost the flavor a bit. I didn't want to find out with my cookie dough. Perhaps next time. Although, while I was browsing pizza dough recipes I came across a dough recipe that called for--- you guessed it---pizza dough flavoring. I just about died. Seriously?! Isn't that almost like selling ice to an eskimo or a toothbrush to a dentist? GAH!


For a catering job, I had to make two cheesecakes a couple of days ago. A Vanilla bean and a Chocolate chocolate chip. Mn.... Yum. I didn't take a picture of my Vanilla bean one...it's just a plain ol' cheesecake!






No comments:

Post a Comment